At Citrix Synergy Barcelona 2012, the premier event on cloud computing, collaboration, virtualization and networking, Citrix announced the next release of XenClient and a XenClient 4.5 Technology Preview.
The Technology Preview is now available to existing XenClient, XenDesktop Enterprise and XenDesktop Platinum customers who are current on their Subscription Advantage contracts. Citrix partners can also access the software. You can download the release here. For those of you who are not existing customers, you can try XenClient 4.1 here.
The software will be generally available in December 2012.
What is new in this release?
XenClient Enterprise 4.5 introduces a next generation global desktop, provides expanded use cases for the technology and delivers improved performance.
Next Generation Global Desktop
- Say yes to the coolest new devices as XenClient now supports multiple Ultrabooks and the latest 3rd generation Intel® Core™ vPro™ processor systems.
- Basic level of support for Microsoft Windows 8
- Global desktop expansion with client support in English, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Japanese and Simplified Chinese and management support in English, German and Simplified Chinese.
Expanded Use Cases
- New enterprise network policies are now available with VLAN tagging so administrators can extend the notion of virtual machine isolation by tagging and routing network traffic to specific virtual machines. One customer is using this today to meet PCI requirements and process credit card transactions in one VM while leaving other VMs available for other business uses – all on a single device.
- External network synchronization via NetScaler allows users external to the corporate network to securely access the Synchronizer for XenClient from remote locations. This makes it even easier to deploy, update and backup XenClient devices in a highly secure fashion.
- 30% improvement in hypervisor boot time allows users to quickly get to their Windows desktop and reduce their time to productivity.
- Dual external monitors in a docking station support allows users to take full advantage of these peripherals and be more productive.
- New display architecture for better monitor management. The new display control panel window allows users to configure individual monitor screen locations and resolutions platform-wide (in the virtual machines and in the hypervisor user interface).
Join the conversation by connecting with the Citrix XenClient team online!