Today, Citrix proudly announces the release of XenDesktop 5.6 Feature Pack 1, which builds upon the themes of the last release which are about reducing cost and making it easier to do desktop virtualization. Below, is an overview of new or updated technologies and capabilities contained in Feature Pack 1:
- Remote PC – Extends the FlexCast physical delivery model to include secure remote connections to office-based PCs with a high-definition user experience leveraging Receiver and HDX technologies. Simple auto-assignment setup is included so Remote PC can be easily provisioned to thousands of users. With this new FlexCast delivery feature, Citrix is simplifying desktop transformation by creating an easy on-ramp for desktop virtualization. View the Remote PC video
- Universal Print Server – Combined with the previously available Universal Print Driver, administrators may now install a single driver in the virtual desktop image or application server to permit local or network printing from any device, including thin clients and tablets.
- Optimized Unified Communications – A new connector from Citrix enables Microsoft Lync 2010 clients to create peer-to-peer connections for the ultimate user experience, while taking the load off datacenter processing and bandwidth resources. The Cisco Virtualization Experience Client (VXC), announced October 2011, was the first in the industry to provide peer-to-peer connection capability to deliver uncompromised user experience benefits to Citrix customers. Download Cisco VXC . Webcam Video Compression adds support for WebEx (in addition to Office Communicator, GoToMeeting HDFaces, Skype and Adobe Connect).
- Mobility Pack for VDI – With the new Mobility Pack, XenDesktop dynamically transforms the user interfaces of Windows desktops and applications to look and feel like the native user interface of smartphones and tablets. Now, your existing Windows applications adapt to the way users interact with applications on smaller devices without any source code changes. Previously, this technology was available only for XenApp.
- HDX 3D Pro – This HDX update provides breakthrough visual performance of high-end graphics intensive applications obtained by producing much faster frame rates using NVIDIAs latest API and leveraging a new, ultra-efficient, deep compression codec.
- XenClient Enterprise – XenClient 4.1 now supports 9x more PCs, has wider graphics support with NVIDIA graphics & has broader server hypervisor support. Its backend management can now run on XenServer, vSphere & Hyper-V. The release brings robust policy controls to the platform & role based administration. XenClient 4.1 delivers enterprise level scalability with support of up to 10,000 endpoints. Read Sham Sao’s blog announcing the availability of XenClient Enterprise 4.1
- Simple License Service –This new license service automatically allocates and installs your XenDesktop and/or XenApp licenses directly from your license server, eliminating the need to go to My Citrix to fully allocate your licenses. For more details, reference Citrix edocs. Version 11.6.1 or higher of the License Server is required.