FlexPod is a widely known reference architecture of compute, network and storage components that are pre-tested and validated to work together as an integrated infrastructure stack. FlexPod stack consists of NetApp FAS storage, Cisco Unified Computing System (UCS), and either Citrix XenServer, VMware vSphere or Microsoft Hyper-V technology. And this best of breed infrastructure foundation is known to reduce deployment risk, lower costs and radically improve time to deployment.
FlexPod configuration is of great interest especially if you are looking to create an agile IT infrastructure that is flexible and dynamic as your business itself, because it can support both virtualized and non-virtualized workloads.
With Citrix XenDesktop on FlexPod solution NetApp, Cisco, and Citrix came together to provide a unified flexible architecture that is ready for virtualized environments today, yet is agile enough to let you grow at your own pace to a fully private cloud. It brings the power of FlexPod concept to Citrix customers by providing an easy‑to-deploy, self-contained virtual desktop solution in a rack.
Citrix XenDesktop on FlexPod is a preconfigured and validated desktop architecture built on a flexible and secure shared IT infrastructure using leading technology from NetApp, Cisco, and Citrix. The solution is optimized for XenDesktop deployments and combines NetApp’s unified architecture, advanced data protection, and provisioning technologies with the Cisco’s UCS and Cisco Nexus switches to provide a secure and robust platform for virtual desktop environments.
Citrix XenDesktop on FlexPod solution is built on virtualization that encompasses desktop OS, applications, compute, network, and storage components including:
- Citrix XenDesktop, with either Citrix XenServer and XenCenter, VMware vSphere and vCenter, or Microsoft Hyper-V and System Center Virtual Machine Manager
- Cisco Unified Computing System and Cisco Nexus family switches
- NetApp FAS storage system and complete software bundle
The architecture, although configured for virtual desktop deployments, also offers secure multi-tenancy capabilities that deliver the security and efficiency of a shared IT infrastructure, enabling the virtualized desktop environment to be isolated from other mission-critical application workloads. Citrix XenDesktop on FlexPod is proven to offer companies with:
- Reduced risk with validated, easy-to-deploy, self-contained virtual desktop solution in a rack
- Greater business agility with a flexible IT infrastructure that supports rapid time to deployment and increase the availability of virtual desktops, applications, and data
- Lowered TCO with modular design and flexibility required for dynamic on-demand expansion as dictated by future business needs
Whether you a looking to take on desktop virtualization or a private cloud initiative, you can be assured that Citrix XenDesktop is continually evolving to be a safe and proven journey to virtualization and toward the Cloud.
Access Citrix XenDesktop on FlexPod reference architecture-based design documents below (check the comments box below for links):
- Using Cisco Unified Computing System, Microsoft Hyper-V, and NetApp Storage
- Using Cisco Unified Computing System, VMware vSphere, and NetApp Storage
- Using Cisco Unified Computing System, Nexus 5000, Citrix XenServer, and NetApp Storage
- Citrix XenDesktop on FlexPod with Microsoft Private Cloud