Our Synergy debut in Barcelona is over, and rapidly becoming a distant but fond memory. I hope you’ll agree that it was a tremendous success! I wanted to take the opportunity to thank all of you – over 4,000 customers, partners and employees – for taking the time out of your schedules to join Citrix and our business partners in Barcelona and be part of such an enjoyable conference. Also – a special thank you to all our sponsors, particularly Dell, Intel, Cisco, AppSense, Microsoft, HP, Wyse and RES Software, for helping us to create such a memorable conference.
I’d like to talk about an aspect of Synergy Barcelona that we were particularly proud of. The key aspects of the conferenced were “Powered by Citrix” – in fact, we had 657 virtual machines, 407 virtual desktops and 8 Netscaler VPX appliances in use onsite, including to power our eye-catching Desktop Transformation Center. We also consolidated many previously separate functions to allow us to significantly reduce the overall number of virtual machines by turning capacity on and off on-demand – ensuring Synergy was a true reflection of Citrix capabilities.
Elsewhere, as many of you will remember, the conference was packed with highlights including the always-anticipated keynote from Mark Templeton, and of course the CTO Super Session. Here are a few of my personal favorites:
- The personal cloud and follow-me-data. Citrix Receiver and the new, even better GoToMeeting with Workspaces stand at the center of our new follow-me-data personal cloud vision. As we continue to use a variety of devices interchangeably for work, this new centralized cloud storage service will mean you can share data and files across multiple devices and access them from any location. Citrix ShareFile will continue to allow you to share files with colleagues internally and externally, and access them securely. By integrating data sharing directly into Citrix Receiver, users will get self-service access to files – pictures, videos, PDF documents, spreadsheets – from any device, anywhere. Finally, you will also be able to share files and work on documents with colleagues in real time, within your GoToMeeting session! GoToMeeting with Workspaces will take collaboration to a new level. You can still check out some the demos directly from Mark’s opening keynote.
- Innovation powers the future. Congratulations once again to Deutsche Bank, winner of the Citrix Innovation Award in Barcelona! As one of the world’s largest and most successful financial services organizations, Deutsche Bank has enhanced the way its 100,000 employees in 73 countries work by allowing traders and other employees to access the db New Workplace, from any device, anywhere throughout the bank’s global offices. Powered by Citrix technology, it lets employees connect instantly with specialized, high-bandwidth systems and to access their virtual desktop and collaboration tools such as high-definition video conferencing. Please also join me in recognizing the tremendous achievements of all the 2011 Innovation Award finalists, including KT Corporation and Royal Bank of Scotland Group. A huge thanks to all of you who voted this year – we really appreciate your input!
- Imagineering with our CTOs. Day two of Synergy opened with a CTO Super Session – back by popular demand! Bernd Christiansen, Sheng Liang and Martin Duursma took to the stage to discuss three trends that will shape the future of technology: collaboration, cloud and mobility. The common theme? Our vision – enabling a world where people can work or play from anywhere, by making technology accessible and easy to use.
- Collaboration: to collaborate well, the technology we use has to be people-centric, mobile and integrate easily into the various social networking platforms we’re already using. As Bernd explained, collaboration needs to be natural and easy, whether it is joining a GoToMeeting directly, via LinkedIn, or meeting with your team via GoToMeeting with Workspaces on an iPad
- Cloud: Following Bernd, Sheng showed us that cloud infrastructure can and will make it easy for organizations to deploy cloud desktops in minutes, versus days or weeks for a traditional desktop. As organizations start to embrace the public cloud, we have the technologies available to support that shift and Sheng shared some compelling thoughts about enterprise adoption.
- Mobility: We are becoming a more mobile society, and with all this innovation, we want tools and services to support that trend. The newly-launched XenApp 6.5 mobility pack will help address that demand, but as Martin and Adam Jacques showed us, it’s not enough to simply make applications designed for desktop computers compatible with mobile devices. They need to take advantage of the features of those mobile devices, whether it is the camera, text messaging or GPS, to create a truly mobile experience. This empowers you to work from anywhere, using applications that feel native to your chosen mobile devices.
Of course, for any of you that were unable to make it to Barcelona, you can still view key sessions as well as both keynotes, on-demand via Synergy Live!
Don’t forget, Citrix Synergy will be back in San Francisco in May 2012 – pre-registration is already open! Once again we’ll bring you the latest developments in cloud, networking and virtualization technologies that you all use to power mobile workstyles and your own cloud services. Until then…